Check your mood
Mental health matters in Southampton.
Every year one in four of us experience a mental health problem, so we are committed to ensuring we have the right services in place to support people in the city.
- Local Counselling services are provided by the Steps2Wellbeing service. Call 0800 612 7000 (for self-referrals) or 02380 272000. Please note that this is not a crisis service.
- If you want to talk to someone right away, the mental health helpline page has a list of organisations you can call for immediate help.
- The Samaritans helpline is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, for people who want to talk in confidence. Call 116 123 (free).
- If you've had thoughts of self-harming or are feeling suicidal, contact someone you can trust immediately, such as your GP, or a friend or relative.
If you live in Southampton, mental health services are provided by a variety of organisations, including the NHS, local charities and the Council.
For private counselling contact: The British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
Self-help therapy has some advantages over professional face-to-face counselling. It’s convenient, cheap and you can do it in your own time and when it suits you.
There’s a great deal of information avaialable through Mind, the mental health charity.
There are interactive self-help books, such as Moodgym, which help you to learn and practice skills which can help to prevent and manage symptoms of depression and anxiety. Moodgym is an online interactive cognitive behaviour (CBT) and interpersonal based therapy program developed for young people but accessible by anyone experiencing mild to moderate levels of depression or anxiety
There are even smartphone apps which help
Recovery Record (Android) (iOS)
Stress & Anxiety
Pacifica (Android) (iOS), Stress & Anxiety Companion (iOS)
Depression and Low Mood
- The NHS App
- Pharmacy First
- Health A - Z
- Live Well
- Age Well
- Check Your Mood
- Family Navigator Service
- In Times of Bereavement
- Mental Health
- Physiotherapy Self Referral
- Sexual Health Services
- Stop Smoking Help
- Winter Health
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.